Mr Bergheim has more than 15 years of experience as an expert in GIS, database and spatial web applications from more than 100 assignments in 16 other countries in Europe and the Middle East within areas such as: establishment of regional, national and trans-national spatial data infrastructures (SDIs), spatial and societal planning; natural resource management; digitization and presentation of cultural heritage and; e-learning.
His key expertise lies in Spatial, Semantic and Social Web technologies including: system architecture; data modelling; technical- and functional user requirements specifications; semantic interoperability; open, standard-based web services; spatial database technologies; decentralised information infrastructure and business process analysis.
Mr Bergheim is active in a range of international information technology related policy, implementation and R&D activities. He has strong presentation skills and is equally at home communicating with high-level management, big audiences, leading technical workshops and performing one-on-one coaching sessions. He has been a lecturer in data modelling, spatial databases, GIS and remote sensing at the Sogn og Fjordane University College and has been guest lecturing at the University of Tromsø and University of Bergen. Bergheim was co-founder of Asplan Viak Internet in 2001 and managing director from 2002 – 2008. He has wide experience from project management.
Recent notable assignments include:
- 2011 – 2013 PATHS – Research and Development project part-financed by the European Community under FP7. Project aims to explore spatial, thematic and temporal paths as navigation paradigms for large cultural heritage collections. Project lead by the University of Sheffield (England) and with partners from the University of the Basque Country (Spain), MDR Partner (England) and i-Sieve technologies (Greece). Work package manager for infrastructure specification and development.
- 2011 Member of board of the Europeana 2011 conference: “EuropeanaTech – Digital Culture Engineering” conference.
- 2011 Mutrah Redevelopment Master Plan project for Muscat Municipality. Core project team member with responsibility for GIS and spatial data. Project aims to revitalize the Muttrah area in terms of physical and social infrastructure including utilities, transportation, parking and community functions.
- 2010 – 2011 CoastAlive. Interreg IV project built on the joint efforts of 14 public authorities from around the North Sea within tourism-, cultural heritage, nature conservation and public health. Taking part in development of specifications for a web solution including maps, APIs and a publishing system.
- 2010 – 2011 INSPIRE Thematic Working Group “Area Management/Restriction/regulation Zones & Reporting Units”. Member of working group for data modeling of the European Union spatial data programme INSPIRE’s annex III themes to be rolled out and used by all 27 European Union member states as well as EEA states where the directive has been transposed.
- 2009 – 2011 Plan4All – European Community funded project under the eContentplus programme involving 16 European countries aiming to establish a pan-European, INSPIRE compliant SDI for spatial planning data. Work package leader for definition of network service architecture.
- 2009 – 2011 Plot – Address – Building project for Abu Dhabi Municipality. Project manager for the specification of a project to establish a robust geocoding and life-cycle management regime for key spatial data registries in Abu Dhabi.
- 2009 – 2010 New Base Map for Abu Dhabi and Western Region Municipalities, stand-in/assisting project manager for aerial photography and photogrammetry project.
- 2009 Property Boundary Management System for the Municipality of Abu Dhabi City. Developing initial workflow specifications for planning approval of plots, sectors and zones.
- 2008 – 2011 Europeana Local – European Community funded project under the eContentplus programme. Technical lead-partner for the implementation of decentralized metadata harvesting infrastructure for partners in 26 European Union member countries + Norway.