Green Buildings & LEED
Green buildings (also known as green construction or sustainable building) refers to a construction process that is environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout a building’s life-cycle: from siting to design, construction, operation, maintenance, renovation, and demolition. The Green Building practice expands and complements the classical building design concerns of economy, utility, durability, and comfort.
Although new technologies are constantly being developed to complement current practices in creating greener structures, the common objective is that green buildings are designed to reduce the overall impact of the built environment on human health and the natural environment by:
- Efficiently using energy, water, and other resources
- Protecting occupant health and improving employee productivity
- Reducing waste, pollution and environmental degradation
What we can do for you
Here at NORPLAN, we firmly believe that sustainable concepts like Green Buildings are an integral part of the future of the design and construction industry. If you are planning a single building or a comprehensive development, we can help you to a “green” start:
- We develop green building designs and architecture
- We provide advise on how to get your building LEED certified
What you get in return
- You achieve lower operating costs and increase asset value, life-cycle savings
- You conserve energy, water and other resources
- You and/or your tenants will enjoy healthier and safer living spaces, air-quality, temperature, lighting
- You will strengthen your competitiveness in an increasingly sustainability-conscious market
While there are presently no government incentive schemes for LEED certification of buildings in the Sultanate of Oman, we are confident that the future will bring on such mechanisms also here.
Many countries have implemented subsidy mechanisms where building owners and developers qualify for money-saving incentives, like tax rebates and zoning allowances if their projects comply with the LEED standards.
Contact us for more information
Our resident expert on Green Buildings in NORPLAN Oman is Mr Mohammed Al Kindi, the first ever Omani to be certified by the U.S. Green Building Council as a LEED Green Associate. Mr Mohammed is also the co-founder and incumbent treasurer (2013) of the Oman Green Building Council.
LEED, or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is an international certification program developed and operated by the U.S. Green Building Council.